Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

2012-01-14

Swapmeet @ Fukuoka Yahoo Dome!

Last Sunday, Kam and I rode down to the Yahoo Dome to take a look at the huge swap meet being held there. In Australia, I feel at home searching in second-hand shops (or as we call them "op-shops") for treasures. Most of my wardrobe and bedroom furnishings are from second-hand shops in Perth. But since living in Japan, I haven't had much of a chance to do this.

Fukuoka has lots of really great vintage shops, however (as is the case in any country) the prices are usually a lot higher when the items have been hand-picked for the store, or often sourced internationally (mostly from the USA). And even when I do find cheap & lovely vintage clothes to buy in Fukuoka's vintage stores, I don't have the same feeling of accomplishment that accompanies real down & dirty "thrifting"in the suburbs. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I totally miss looking amongst a bunch of people's old junk to find amazing things. I'm sure there are op-shops here too, but I am yet to explore too far outside the city. I digress.

For now, I will share with you some pictures I took at the swap-meet. It was really great to experience the same feeling of anticipation when walking into the huge venue- not knowing what wonderful treasures were waiting to be found...



I found it really interesting to see how different the items for sale were, compared to an Australian swap-meet. I know that sounds stupid- of course, it's Japan - but it was very cool to see what people were selling. Laying out your old things on a table, for hundreds of thousands of buyers to evaluate is quite personal, really.

There were lots of cute soft-toys of course...




Amongst the stores of families selling their old clothes and things (sidenote: I bought a really cute pink jumper for ¥30, and a warm scarf for around ¥500!), were various stalls selling idol posters & stickers. This is something uniquely Japanese...


As you will probably notice from looking at the rest of the photos in this blog post, the stalls that caught my eye the most were those selling collectible toys & other old nostalgic things. So when we came across this suitcase full of old PEZ dispensers, I got a little excited. 


I picked three of my favourites, and the seller told me to choose a fourth for free. I'll show you at the end which ones I picked !






There were some pretty kimono stalls, selling for really reasonable prices too...


And some used bicycles, cameras and (like I said) toys...





 


So, so great. Kam was happy to check out the Japanese Nintendo 64 games...


Maybe three years ago, in Perth, we found an old Super Nintendo at an op-shop. After we got it, Kam used ebay to build up a fairly extensive range of SNES games, which we had had to leave at home in Australia when we left. As he checked out the boxes of 64 game cartridges, I could sense a little longing in his eyes...


It was actually only the second time that we been inside Fukuoka Dome (the first being the time we watched a Hawks baseball game). This time, we were able to walk up and have a look at the dugout where the players & coaches sit during games. Lots of people were taking photos there, so we decided we may as well...



Afterwards, we enjoyed some winter sunshine outside the Dome.



And I admired my new PEZ friends.

Until next time x

1 comments:

Park Junghwan said...

where is that second-hand shop?
and
when do that open?

Im interested in that!!